Cemeteries

General Published work:

Daniel, Davenport. The Sexton's Monitor and Dorchester Cemetery Memorial. 3rd ed. 1845, is available as a pdf file at

http://www.dorchesteratheneum.org/pdf/Sextons%20Monitor.pdf

 

Dorchester North, Old Dorchester Burial Ground

Dorchester South

Dorchester North and Dorchester South may be searched through the City of Boston's Parks Department website

Cedar Grove (1870)

Cedar Grove Cemetery traces its origins to the public spirited citizens of the Town of Dorchester of the mid-nineteenth century. With a strong sense of community spirit - an attitude still characteristic of today's Dorchesterite - town meeting members in 1858 established a committee "to procure a suitable lot of land for a cemetery."This committee failed in its efforts, but a new committee was appointed on April 1, 1867. In barely more than a year this group found a thirty-acre parcel on the banks of the Neponset River, worked with the Legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to enact the required enabling legislation and then presented its recommendations to Dorchester's town meeting on April 6, 1868. The recommendations were approved and the designated "Cemetery on Neponset River" came into being.Original landscape design and layout was completed by Luther Briggs, who was prominent in the field at that time. On January 19, 1869, the name Cedar Grove Cemetery was officially adopted, bearing witness to the clumps and groves of Cedar trees that thrived in the fields along the river. Its first superintendent was James Emery. By the end of 1869, nearly forty acres of land had been accumulated, bordering on Milton Street and Adams Street, and partly on Granite Avenue and the Neponset River. The first lot was sold on May 7, 1870.

Catholic Cemeteries

From its humble beginnings on May 24, 1851, when 215 original members incorporated the Catholic Cemetery Society in Dorchester, the Association is still performing the task it was mandated to do - provide a final resting place for our departed and beloved dead. Started in one small Cemetery in Dorchester, the Association now maintains four non-sectarian cemeteries.

Codman Burying Ground

Related to the Second Church (1806) where John Codman was the first pastor.

 

Nearby cemeteries where Dorchester people are known to have been buried:

Forest Hills

Forest Hills Cemetery is one of the finest examples of the rural cemetery garden in the United States. It was designed in 1848 to provide a magnificent park-like setting to bury and remember family and friends. Today, Forest Hills is still an active burial ground; it is also a historic site, an open-air museum, and a 275-acre greenspace and arboretum. The distinctive Victorian landscape design features meandering paths, scenic vistas, and a lovely small lake. Many prominent historic and cultural figures are buried here, including inventors, entrepreneurs, civic leaders, artists, and social activists. Some examples are abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison, suffragist Lucy Stone, poets Anne Sexton and ee cummings, playwright Eugene O'Neill, and sculptor Martin Milmore.

Mount Hope (1851)

Operated by the city of Boston, this cemetery still accepts burials.

Additional information